We are committed to ensuring that NHS services across Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Southampton are as good as they can be, and value feedback on your experiences.

We welcome your comments, concerns, compliments or complaints about any of the services we purchase on your behalf and about our work within the local health and care system. We recognise the value that feedback can provide in planning for the future and in improving services, so please do tell us how we can do things better, or that we are doing something well.

The NHS can sometimes be complicated to understand, if you feel you need support, our Patient Experience Service is here to help. We can guide you through the NHS complaints procedure, assist with your concern and advise on any queries you may have regarding any services we commission, or share any details of organisations that can support you.

What can the Patient Experience Service do?

  • Investigate complaints about the actions and services of the ICS itself
  • Investigate complaints about a ICS purchasing decision when this has personally affected an individual
  • Investigate complaints about any health services commissioned or provided by the ICS

What the Patient Experience Service cannot do

  • Resolve complaints which have been investigated by another responsible NHS body
  • Resolve complaints, which are being or have been investigated by the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO). 

If you would like to discuss or send us a compliment, comment or complaint or have a query about the ICS or any of the services we commission, please contact the relevant Patient Experience Service for your area. Contact details are available below.  The Patient Experience Service will acknowledge your enquiry within three working days of receipt.

The Integrated Care Board (ICB) buys secondary care services (such as hospital and community services) on behalf of local populations and, while it is usually preferable to take up your concern with the service provider directly, we appreciate your feedback about these services.

We welcome your concerns, complaints, compliments and comments about any services we commission. These include:

  • Community health services
  • Maternity services
  • Planned hospital care
  • Urgent and emergency care including Emergency Departments, ambulance and out-of-hours services
  • Older people’s healthcare services
  • Healthcare services for children, including those with complex healthcare needs
  • Rehabilitation services including wheelchair services
  • Healthcare services for people with mental health conditions
  • Healthcare services for people with learning difficulties
  • Individual funding decisions
  • End-of-life care
  • Continuing Healthcare: for more information, please click here.

If you wish to complain about a service, it is important to note that complaints regulations set out that you can only complain to either the service provider or the commissioner, not to both.

For patients within the West Hampshire area:

Telephone: 0800 456 1633    Email: HSICCG.sw.patientexperienceservice@nhs.net


For patients within the North Hampshire area:

Telephone: 01256 706004   

Email: HSICCG.nm.patientexperienceservice@nhs.net 


For patients within South East Hampshire:

Telephone: 02392 282081   

Email: HSICCG.se.patientexperienceservice@nhs.net


For patients within the Fareham and Gosport area:

Telephone: 02392 282081   

Email: HSICCG.se.patientexperienceservice@nhs.net


For patients on the Isle of Wight:

Telephone: 01983 534412    

Email: HSICCG.iw.patientexperienceservice@nhs.net


For patients in the Portsmouth area

Telephone: 023 9283 4456    

Email:  portsmouthccgcomplaints@portsmouthcc.gov.uk


For patients within the Southampton area:

Telephone: 02380 296066   

Email: HSICCG.so.patientexperienceservice@nhs.net

The Advocacy people provides independent health complaints advocacy, offering you support if you have not received the service you expected from a service provided or paid for by the NHS:

The Advocacy People

PO Box 375


East Sussex

TN34 9HU

Telephone: 0330 440 9000

Text: 80800, starting the message with PEOPLE

Email: info@theadvocacypeople.org.uk


You can also visit The Carers Federation at https://www.carersfederation.co.uk/ 

Charity and membership organisation POhWER provides advocacy to people who experience disability, vulnerability, distress and social exclusion.

Visit www.pohwer.net or call 0300 4562370


Charity VoiceAbility is one of the UK’s largest providers of advocacy and involvement services. It is an Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS), which may be able to support you. This is a free, independent and confidential service that offers help and information in making a complaint about the NHS:

Visit: www.voiceability.org

Telephone: 0300 3031660

Email: helpline@voiceability.org


Healthwatch Southampton NHS Complaints Advocacy Service, delivered by The Advocacy People, can also help resolve issues or concerns you may have about your local health services. Their service is free, confidential, and independent of the NHS:

Healthwatch Southampton

Southampton Voluntary Services

Kingsland Square


SO14 1NW

Telephone: 0330 440 9000

Website: www.healthwatchsouthampton.co.uk/feedback/support-with-nhs-complaints.

Although we are responsible for the majority of health services, comments, complaints or compliments about any of the following should be sent directly to the service provider or to NHS England and NHS Improvement:

  • GPs
  • Dentists
  • Orthodontists
  • Pharmacists
  • Opticians

Contact details for NHS England and NHS Improvement:

Telephone: 0300 311 2233

Email: england.contactus@nhs.net

NHS England

PO Box 16738


B97 9PT 

Unsure who to contact?

If you are unsure where to direct your complaint, please contact our Patient Experience Service in the first instance and the team will be able to advise you further.

  • We will contact you by phone, letter or email within three working days of receiving your complaint and will usually offer you a phone call to discuss your complaint.
  • We will discuss with you the best way to investigate and respond to your complaint.
  • We will gain your consent to investigate, and share the detail with the relevant services.
  • We will discuss how long the whole process is likely to take.
  • We will keep you updated and inform you of any delays.
  • We will provide a full written response to you, which will explain what happened, apologise for any failings and detail any action we have taken to correct and improve services.

Please be assured that your complaint will be treated in confidence, your complaint will not affect your treatment, and your or your relative will not be discriminated against in any way.

Are you complaining on behalf of someone else?

If you would like to make a complaint on behalf of someone else, we will ask you to provide their written consent before we can commence an investigation.

Where can I obtain independent advice and support?

If you would like independent advice or support through the complaints process,  please see the section earlier on this page, ‘who else can help you raise a complaint’. These services provide a free, independent and confidential service that offers help and information on making a complaint about the NHS.

I am not content with the response I have received, what next?

We will endeavour to ensure that all complaints and concerns are fully investigated and a clear, honest response provided to the complainant. However, if you are not satisfied with our response you should write to us stating the reasons why you are dissatisfied and we will arrange to review, your concerns again.

You have the right to ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to review your complaint, at the end of the local resolution stage of the NHS complaints process, if you are not satisfied with the way your complaint has been dealt with by the NHS.

The PHSO is not obliged to investigate every complaint, they will normally review a complaint once it has been through the local resolution stage.

Contact details for the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman are as follows:

Watch this video (produced by the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman) which uses British Sign Language to give you tips on making a complaint to the NHS in England, including where to get advice and support.

Complaints policy:

Management of Complaints and Concerns Policy

Helpful documents

Please see below for useful leaflets:

Please contact us if you need this information in another language or format.

You might also be interested in...